In 1899, Edward Mahar, a prominent founding citizen of San Pedro and Realtor built a home at First and Front Street in the area known as Nob Hill, for his parents who resided in Wilmington. They chose not to move to the new location. William Muller purchased the home in 1901 for his growing family. In 1912, Front Street was cut down to be widened and became Harbor Blvd. At this time the house was relocated by mule and wagon to 19th and Grand where it remained until 1984 when it was donated to the San Pedro Bay Historical Society for use as a museum.
During the time the Muller family resided on 19th Street, William added 12 feet to the rear of the house, making a service porch, downstairs bath and enlarging the bedroom. He removed the living room partition and added a fireplace there to expand the enjoyment of that room.
Beautiful African Gum wood work was installed in the house by the master craftsman-owner. He also added the sun porch, which he used as an office and designing room. An outside entrance allowed privacy for the family while he conducted business at home.
Extensive gardens were enjoyed, including roses, bougainvillea, fruit and magnolia trees and an interesting fish pond made of rocks and shells.
Following the donation to the Society, the house was moved to its present location on land leased from the City of Los Angeles and maintained by the Society. The house was declared Cultural Heritage Monument #253 in 1982. It was renovated and opened to the public in the fall of 1990.
The Muller House is located at 1542 S. Beacon Street, San Pedro, CA. It is open for guests on the 1st, 2nd & 3rd Sundays of the month from 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM. Their phone number is 310-831-1788.
The Muller House
1542 S. Beacon Street, San Pedro, CA